Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 37:

Was able to help out a couple of my students with their projects in small ways, but hopefully will help take them to the next step. Tried out Randy Pausch's advice about not being afraid to ask for what you want. He writes, "Ask those questions. Just ask them. More often thand you'd suspect, the answer you'll get is, 'Sure.'" Clarissa needed lots of coupons. So when I was at my regular Wawa coffee stop yesterday I asked if I might be able to have the inserts of coupons from the Sunday papers that don't get sold before they get picked up by the newspaper distributor. While it wasn't something the manager on duty at the time could do herself, as she would not be in teh store at that time, she said "Sure." And arranged for the midnight manager to collect the inswerts which she would have ready Monday AM. And guess what? She did as she said and there was a nice full bag of coupons to bring Clarissa today. Also, as I knew Kim's progress was hinged upon a letter from the principal substantiating her race as a school project that was insured, and because I knew she hadn't received the letter yet, when I saw the principal today, I just asked if he could prepare it asap as she needed this before she moved forward. He said "Sure" and by 9th period today she had the letter in her hands. The lesson is this: people can be great; our reluctance sometimes prevents us for asking for their help and so we just don't give them enough opportunities to show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment